Depressed Get Some Sleep





Photo by Kelly Sikkema


"How well we sleep might actually play a role in o
ur mental health," lead study author Daniel Freeman, a professor of clinical psychology at the University of Oxford, said in a statement. "If you can sort out your sleep, you could also be taking a significant step forward in tackling a wide range of psychological and emotional problems." [Get Better Sleep in 2017]


Unwinding from our day is hard to do. Getting off of social media, our computers, and shutting of our TV has become more difficult over the years. I think back on my life, and remember a time when we would play Gin Rummy or Pictionary, with Bob Seeger playing in the background. In the summer we'd be outside with a fire roaring, marshmallows roasting, everyone either in in depth conversations, or laughing. Nowadays we just don't live simply anymore, none of us can put our devices down. I have my guilty pleasures like binge watching Scandal or Ray Donovan. Even when we are working we're constantly connected. Our bosses, friends, and family have free reign to message us whenever. I meditate, and the other day I was interrupted four times. I shut my phone down, and forgot my iPad was on. If my daughter can't get a hold of me right away she has a meltdown. She'll message everyone until she gets me to respond. So now I not only have to shut my devices down I literally have to send a group message to everyone that it's my meditation time, or I am going to sleep. All in all It takes a lot to unwind so what rituals can we do each night to help us to sleep.

1.) Put your phone in a place far away from you. No TV one hour before bed.
Read a book that is not on your phone or take a walk.

2.) Brew a cup of sleepy time tea. I like Celestial seasonings
they have a few to choose from. look for ingredients that
calm such as, Valerian, Chamomile, Passion Flower,
Lemon Grass, Ashwagandha, Lavender.

3.) Take a hot shower or bath.


4.) Put on soft meditation music.


5.) Do meditation or self hypnosis.


6.) A weighted blanket can help those of us with anxiety and restless legs.

7.) Make sure your room has plenty of air flow.

8.) Cut down on caffeine, and sugar.

9.) Journal thoughts of good things from your day.

10.) Prayer, or contemplation.


Make your night time ritual about you, have fun with it. Burn some candles, diffuse some essential oils, I like Cedarwood, Sandalwood, and Vetiver because they are woodsy. You may like floral such as Lavender or citrus such as Bergamot orange. Experiment with what makes you calm and sleepy. Most of all be you, and get some rest.

Comments

Popular Posts